Classes of hosting services
A hosting solution appertains to stockpiling and/or sharing given web content on a hosting server handled by a website hosting provider. There are different groups of hosting services used for various goals, so let's study them. Thus, you can elect what you need, on the basis of whether you desire to run a web portal, mail aliases, or to share files with mates and associates.
- File hosting: a service made available by various firms, which lets you share large files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived files, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its single function is to share files, since it does not offer web page uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to read a register of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to open .html or .php web page files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file hosting solutions frequently involve ads next to the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a certain amount of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you own a paid file storage account, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limitation as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
At the moment, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting providers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more faddish "cloud hosting". This is a completely distorted explanation of the real connotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would share the workload between separate packs of hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving different web hosting services (email, disk space, stats, DNS, databases, web hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a sort of a data storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; given companies offer a hosting solution for pictures only. This hosting kind is appropriate if you would like to share an enormous amount of pics with mates or partners since the service is generally free. You will receive a randomly generated link for each picture or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be utilized for web sites.
- E-mail hosting: a service devoted to tackling your e-mail aliases. Some vendors provide website hosting services for web sites, but do not provide an email solution. If you would like to manage an email address with your domain name but do not desire to own a site, then the email hosting service is what you need. You can set up mail accounts and manage them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a specific video clip, or you can embed the video in your web page that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of using this method instead of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video clip creates a specific amount of CPU load, so with a few videos and a few hundred website visitors, you may have trouble with your webspace hosting reserves. Embedding the video file will allow you to operate as many video files as you desire without hassling about system quotas.
- Web site hosting: this is the service that you need if you desire to keep a web site. To some extent, it consists of all of the aforesaid hosting groups since, along with your websites, you can also host pics and files, you can create databases and electronic mail accounts, upload videos, etc. At Code's Done, for instance, you can have a glance at web hosting and dedicated web hosting services that permit you to have all of the aforementioned services in one location. There may be limitations depending on the form of hosting solution that you've settled on - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your site hosting plan may be better or worse compared to the ordinary email/file/video/image hosting packages that are made for particular content solely.